Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Summertime Frappuccino with Tim ... Holtz 12 Tags of 2015 for June

Hello to all of you my wonderful, creative friends!  It has been way too long since I have been to crafty blogland.  I must confess to just being too tired to do anything but physical therapy and work.  My bedtime was often before the sun went down in the evening.  I am glad to say that I am much better for it though and now I am able to return to crafting.  I can't tell you how wonderful it has been to have inky fingers again :)

I thought it would be nice to celebrate with my version of Tim Holtz's June Tag for 2015.  Please check out his blog for details on how he created his marvelous tag.  This has to be one of my favorites simply because of Tim's "fresh brewed" Sizzix die.  I also share Tim's love of Starbucks and I am thrilled to make a tag that celebrates my Frappuccino Fascination.

We are in the middle of our summer here in the United States and it's time for all sorts of outdoor fun and summer celebrations.   Next weekend will be our Independence Day (July 4th) and with summer temperatures soaring above normal, even here in the mountains of North Carolina, I am definitely going to be celebrating with a Venti Mocha Frappuccino.  So here is my tag that combines my love of all things vintage, patriotic and coffee.


I started this tag with trying different backgrounds using Tim's stripes stenciling technique.  You can see some of my trials along with the one I chose for my background.  Like the technique illustrated on Tim's blog, I used three colors of Distress Ink (Barn Door, Chipped Sapphire and Aged Mahogany) for the middle background in the image below.  Although I love this idea, I ended up choosing a background for this tag that had just one color, Barn Door, on the vertical stripes and another color, Chipped Sapphire, on the horizontal stripes.  Never worry ... the middle background is already being transformed into a birthday card.  Ah ... don't you just love the creative process?!


Here are a few other details about my tag.  To go along with my patriotic theme, I pulled out some of Tim's Natural Red and Cream Trimmings to create the tie around the cup and tag tie.  I frayed the ends of both and added some stamped stars on the tag tie.  I was trying to think of an appropriate sentiment for the tag.  As soon as I saw the "hello friend" stamp in Tim's "Simple Sayings" stamps, I knew I had found a winner.  That is exactly what I say when they hand me my ice cold Frappuccino!!!  (Either that or "my precious!" when I'm channeling my inner Tolkien).  The sentiment is backed with a great denim banner that I found at my local Michaels.


I wanted to give a shout out and sincere thank you to the lovely Linda Coughlin over at the Funkie Junkie Boutique.  She gave me this amazing Statue of Liberty button in a recent shipment of some backordered stamps.  It was absolutely perfect for this tag.  Thanks Linda ... you are the best.  Also ... I want to point out the authentic green Starbucks straw below.  Yes, I just had to go buy another Frappucino this week to get that straw.  It was such a difficult task and I just couldn't burden anyone else with it :)




Well, I leave you with one last view of my entire tag and a big smile.  It's great to be back.  Hugs to you all -- Mary Elizabeth



14 comments:

barbarayaya62 said...

MAry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy to see you and listen that you feel better!!! Your tag is wonderful and your inky fingers, surely, are beautiful!!!! I hope to see you on Pinterest too! You're back in craftyland!!Big hugs my friend! BArbarayaya

Brenda Brown said...

So pleased to hear you are feeling a bit better Mary Elizabeth and how lovely to see your art. Love this tag, beautifully made and I will celebrate with you and my favourite frap which will be a venti caramel. Take care xxx

Paper Profusion said...

Welcome back Mary Elizabeth - you are surely back with a uber patriotic bang! Seriously great tag with wonderful details. Nicola x

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, how lovely to see you back here, Mary Elizabeth - and what a return! I love your take on the June tag - those starry ribbons, denim banner, the fabulous button and multiple backgrounds ready to play with too!

I'm afraid I think that on the iced coffee front, nobody does it better than the central Europeans (I know, heresy!), but I am very partial to the new (over here at least) Mango and Passion Fruit, and looking forward to trying Lemon and Vanilla too!
Alison xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Nice to hear from you! LOVE all these backgrounds, and love the stamped ribbon! Gorgeous renditions! Missed you!

Carol said...

Congratulations on being a June winner. You absolutely deserved it with all the in-depth research and sacrifice at Starbucks...lol.

Carol. xx

Jenny Marples said...

Yay!!! SO pleased you're a winner. REALLY well deserved Mary Elizabeth. Jenny x

sarascloset said...

Mary Elizabeth, what a wonderful take on Tim's tag and I'm so happy he recognized a great tag when he saw it! Congratulations on a very well-deserved win and welcome back to crafty blogland! What a comeback you made! Thank you for your fantastic comment on my blog today! It really made my day! Both the win and your lovely comment!! Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us! I had a poke around your blog, and you are an amazing inspiring artist! I'll be back for sure! Hugs!

Brenda Brown said...

Back to say congrats on your win xxx

Freddie Bubblescrap Sleijpen said...

Yaaaay fellow winner. Love love loooove the tag!! Xxx

Julia said...

Love your tags....is the plaid background a stamp and if so, where can I purchase. Thanks

Kim said...

Love your tag Mary Elizabeth. Congratulations on your June tag win. I am glad you have plans for your alternate backgrounds. The colors look great together...what a neat technique. Glad you are on the mend. I also live in NC down in the Sandhills...it has been a scorcher this year.

Words and Pictures said...

And I'm back to say congratulations too, of course... and that for all my Euro-centric coffee drinking, I'm as much of a sucker for Starbucks as the next person!
Axx

Deb said...

Wonderful take on Tim's June tag and love all of the different backgrounds you created, congratulations on your win!