In a wild frenzy of die cutting, I managed to misalign the cutting pads (on more than one occasion) and Tim's Tattered Flower Garland die strip. Alas ... poor Jane Austin ended up with several of her lovely pages of Sense and Sensibility partially cut with flowers. As usual, I laid them off to the side and plunged on with my pursuit of perfect blossoms and leaves. And there they lay for days. And each day as I entered my craft room, these lovely scraps of words cried out, 'do something with me'! Perhaps, it was not the paper crying, but the voice of a quite peevish Jane. Regardless, this week ... I picked them up.
I grabbed a tag and began to push the strips around the borders of the tag. I liked what I saw. Now to create a background. On that day, this was the view outside of my window:
Spring is slow in coming to the mountains of NC and I long for the sunshine and clear blue skies! So I went to my Distress Paints and picked out Mowed Lawn, Broken China, and Salty Ocean. I dabbed each on my craft sheet, spritzed with water and dragged my tag (sans Jane's lovely words) through the watered-paint. I spritzed the tag with a little more water to let the colors mix and drip a little more. Then it was time for the heat tool! When the paint was dry, I went over the entire tag background with Peacock Feather Distress Ink. I flicked it with some water to add some distressed water spots to my bright and cheerful background.
I used some Matte Multi Medium to adhere my scraps of flowery words (or wordy flowers) to the borders of my tag and cut off the excess. I first used an Antique Linen Distress Marker a fine-tip water brush to go over the petals. Then I came back with Brushed Corduroy to add some shadowing. I distressed the edges of the tag with sandpaper and added some Walnut Stain Distress Ink. The right bottom corner, looked a little anemic, so I found this lovely sticker from K & Company to go on it. The entire tag was covered with a layer of Matte Multi Medium. It gave the paint and ink the look of a fresh spring rain shower (rather than the blustery snow storm that raged outside).
Now for a little movement! I stamped this wonderfully wordy butterfly from one of Tim's sets onto Specialty stamping paper. I colored it with some Ripe Persimmon, Antique Linen Distress and Vintage Photo Markers. I let it fly above the tag with some adhesive foam squares.
I topped it off the tag with some raffia, a couple of blossoms and yet another word mounted on a bit of Jane's manuscript ... Hope (which is what I still have for a spring here in NC). And thus bringing life out of these scraps of words, I am entering this tag into Alison's Say It With Words Challenge over at A Vintage Journey.
And that is how this lovely tag came to be. I bet you have some similar stories to tell. I look forward to reading about how your art speaks to you! -- Mary Elizabeth