Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Time to Go Back to School

It's time for almost all students and teachers to go back to school around here ... just not for me.  I'm still on medical leave this semester.  It sounds ideal to not have to have to go in to work; however, I am sad.  I would love to be back in the classroom this fall.  I know it's for the best.  I need to be as healthy as I possibly can be before I go back to teaching.  Well, if I can't teach this fall, I can craft something about school:)  Here is my rendition of a vintage "little red school house".


The school building and roof base are made out of corrugated cardboard that I painted with Distress Paints and sanded.  The white building was given a light coat of Walnut Stain Distress Ink to give it a little more grunge.



I used a little different version of Tim Holtz's Faded Layers technique on the red facade for the school house.  I first used Tim's Cargo Stencil and some Distress Embossing Ink with clear embossing powder to create the letters before coloring the paper with the Cranberry and Red alcohol ink.  I used Tim's Clockwork stencil to finish the faded layers technique.  I used a similar technique on the red roof piece.  This time I clear embossed with Tim's Schoolhouse stencil (very appropriate for this project, don't you think?)

 

 I found a great "Back to School" Sizzix die to cut the words "back" and "school" out of grungeboard."  I painted them with Wild Honey Distress Paint, outlined them with a black Sharpie, and then gave the a coat of Glossy Accent.  The colors reminded me of our local school buses.  The 2 is from one of Tim's grungeboard die cut packs. 


 I created a little framework with Tim's texture tape.  Love the ruler tape for this school house.   There it is!  Short and sweet today.  I fun project to keep me busy while I wait to get back to my own wonderful school. 

Since this week's theme at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is Anything Goes, I think I will enter  this piece. Thanks for dropping by.  Hope you are having a very blessed Sunday! -- Mary Elizabeth




7 comments:

Dagmar said...

What a fantadtic work of Art! Great colours and a cool idea! I hope you will be well again soon. Hugs, Dagmar

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Mine are back to school and I'm so happy about that!!! LOL! Love your old fashioned school house...I wish it was still like that! Gorgeous ribbon too!

Claudia N. said...

I can understand why you are sad, Mary Elizabeth,

but don't be! Who knows what fall will bring along for you...maybe something you would have missed if you had been back to school already. I like to believe that there always is a reason why things happent to us like they do. We just don't know it...but most of the time it will reveal itself sooner or later. ;)

That school house is absolutely gorgeous. I can see your love for school in it! Very enchanting!

Hugs and wishes,
Claudia xxx

Annie said...

This is a gorgeous school project Mary Elizabeth and I hope your health improves soon x

Take care and crafty hugs Annie x

Paper Profusion said...

That sizzix font you had in stock works a treat with this project Mary Elizabeth. All the layers and ingredients are wonderful. Take this time to heal so that you will be all the better for it. Nicola x

Kerstin F. said...

This is truly amazing! Love everything about this gorgeous work. Hugs, Kerstin

Jenny Marples said...

Love your old fashioned school house - great bold colours and some fabulous textures. Jenny x