Hi everyone! I'm back this weekend with my take on Tim Holtz's September Tag for 2016. Tim has been doing a Remix series this year where does a "mash up" of two different crafting techniques. This month's techniques are Paint Petina (for the tag background) and Alcohol Ink Resist (for the focal image). I absolutely love Tim's Evolution stamp that he used for his tag, but I just purchased some of his great Halloween items (Batground Layering Stencil, word bands, Gothic Remnant Rubs, etc). So I ended up with a Halloween-themed September tag.
I pretty much followed Tim's techniques with the exception of using some of his ric rac trim instead of sewing. I also used a little tip he mentioned in one of the Creative Chemistry courses (can't remember which one) on how to use Ranger Ink's Cut and Dry Foam to get the reverse image of a stamp. I found a You Tube video from The Gentleman Crafter (Ranger U grad) on this Cut & Dry Foam Reverse Stamp technique . Check it out if you are interested. Anyway, I used this reverse stamp technique on the skull stamp from Tim Holtz's Apothecary set. This foam stamp created the focal image used in the alcohol ink resist technique.
I used Black Soot Archival Ink on a script stamp from one of Tim's Halloween stamp/stencil sets (one of my new purchases form Michaels this fall) to get the script image on the skull. Notice how I used the resist technique on the right part of the script stamped image that went into the alcohol ink background. So cool!! I used the resist technique with other script stamps around the skull image. I also grabbed Tim's Splatter stencil and Batground stencil to use with Alcohol Ink blending solution. Love that effect.
Several Idea-ology Halloween embellishments (some new and some from previous seasons) were added to round out the entire tag.
Oops ... I almost forgot to telly you about my background. My paint patina background has a whole kitchen sink of colors: Ripe Persimmon, Blueprint Sketch, Lucky Clover, Rusty Hinge, Broken China and Antique Bronze Distress Paint, as well as Candied Apple, Walnut Stain, Broken China and Ground Espresso Distress Ink. As with Tim's tag, the paint patina was carried over to my Alpha Parts "Spooky". Since my background a was a little dark, I added some Ripe Persimmon Distress Paint around the edges of my "Spooky" embellishment to make it pop a little more.
This was so fun! Since the official first day of fall was this past week, I'm feeling in the Halloween mood. The temperatures were in the 80's (degrees F) that day and way too warm. I'm looking forward to cooler fall days ahead. I hope you are finding something to inspire you to get your hands inky! Hugs to you all -- Mary Elizabeth