My oldest brother likes to work with his hands. He's skilled with woodwork and is pretty handy with a set of tools. So, I made a nostalgic 1958 license plate for my oldest brother's tag (kind of like the one in the image below).
|Vintage North Carolina License Tag|
I stamped a piece of cardstock with a license plate stamp from Stampology. The set includes all the alphabet and numbers for a personalized license plate, so I stamped my brother's initials and 13 for the year 2013. I inked the plate with Wild Honey Distress Ink and used Ultra Thick Embossing Powder over the entire tag to give it an old enameled look. I used a small "bolted screw top" stamp on four dots made from a standard hole punch. The dots were glued on the license plate to look like the bolts that hold the tag onto a car. Glossy accents and Vintage Photo Distress Stickles was added on top of the stamped dots to give them a little more dimension and "rustiness".
The tag background is made with a collage of vintage scrapbooking papers. I stamped the word "journey" on the tag and attached a spinner in the letter "o" with a vintage brad. The tag was grunged with Walnut Stain distress ink and sand paper. I added a Fibers ribbon and attached the license plate to the tag using pop-up foam adhesive squares. Other embellishments like assorted nuts, washers, gear and a key were then added to the tag.
My other older brother's birthday tag celebrates his love of bluegrass music. He plays the guitar, dobro, bass fiddle and the mandolin in a bluegrass band called Appalachian Fire. He is incredibly talented and is now learning how to play the banjo. Anyway, I love the look of his mandolin and decided to feature part of an F model (F for "fancy") mandolin on this collage tag.
|Gibson.com: Gibson F-9 Mandolin|
I sketched out the shape of the part of the mandolin that I wanted on the tag. I found several vintage papers to include in the collage. I started tearing the pieces and adhering them with Ranger Glue-N-Seal. . When the body and handle of the mandolin had been covered, I added some walnut stain on the fretboard (handle of the mandolin). I sketched in the frets with a Picket Fence Distress Marker. I added a little shading on the sides and grunging with a Vintage Photo Distress Marker and Distress Ink. Then the entire mandolin was covered with Matte Multi-Medium mixed with Wild Honey Distress Stain. Distress Inks were used to color the remaining background of the tag. I used a sand paper to distress the sides of the tag and these edges were grunged with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.
I added a few embellishments like the metal spool and an initial charm. I also used some gold flecked twine for the strings of the mandolin and a black piece of card stock for the bridge. The hole where the sound comes out (looks like flourish) was painted with a Black Soot Distress Marker. I really like the translucent look I got with this over the Multi-Medium. To finish the piece, I added a ribbon tie and my brothers birthday month and year were paperclipped to the strings.
I really love the look of this tag. I am planning to do another mandolin collage on canvas in the near future. I can't wait to get started on that project :)
Hope you are all having a great weekend. Time to go down and play in my craftroom. Until next time -- Mary Elizabeth