The car was made out of some Tim Holtz paper (an entire sheet of rulers) that I die cut with Artful Dwellings die. I folded up the edges around one of the rulers to make a little "artful dwellings box". I distressed the edges and added some tiny fasteners that look like little screws. At the end of my airship, I added some grungeboard wings (stamped with Tim's wings in black archival ink) that I colored with Spiced Marmalade and Wild Honey Distress Ink. I added some sparkle with some detailing with a couple of glitter ink pens and then covered it all with a nice coat of Glossy Accents. I also used a spare piece of grunge board to attach a propeller embellishment.
I used a piece of Mixed Media paper for my background. I started by covering with different layers of paper and tape. I originally thought I would cover them with distress ink (transparent color) to create sky and clouds with the paper pattern showing through, but I decided to add some other airships in the background. So I covered almost all the paper with a layer of gesso, added more tape, stamped some leaves and other images, then used Broken China to paint over everything. I misted the paint and let it disperse. I then brushed the thinned paint over the entire piece (darker at bottom and lighter at top). I added some Picket Fence paint for my clouds. Then I took Broken China and Iced Spruce Distress Ink to around the clouds to give them a little more definition. I let this dry and then came back to stamp some balloons and other airships in the background. I mixed Matte Multi-medium with Distress Markers on my craft sheet and used this to color my balloons. The balloons color ended up too intense and competed with my main images, so I used Picket Fence stain to wash over the balloons (heavier on some) to put them in the background.
I created a little hot air balloon with one of the Sizzix Pumpkin #2 die cuts. I cut this out of another vintage print paper. I colored it with the multi-medium /distress marker mixture. I used the bottom half of a Tim Holtz bird cage die cut to make the basket for the balloon. Baker's twine was again used for the cable system. A pointing hand and some gears were stamped on a piece of lined vintage print paper to draw the eye to the poster's information. This little sign was adhered with foam adhesive squares.
Several artists lately have been stamping on patterned paper and I loved it! So to create my Punkie Night Fair Sign, I started with a piece of vintage newsprint pattern paper, stamped it with some autumn leaves in brown archival ink and gave a watered-down gesso wash. I then stamped my steampunk gents with some archival ink (but not very juicy). I used some of alphabet stamps to created my "Punkie Night Faire" info in heavier black archival ink and highlighted it with Distress Markers. I then came back in red archival ink and stamped the added "STEAM" to the sign. The sign was then decorated with a stamped Admit One stamp. To complete the piece, I added my very own Punkie Lantern made from another Sizzix Pumpkin #2 die cut. If you look carefully, you will see he is cut out of more Tim Holtz cardboard packaging. I sent the pumpkin back through and cut out the eyes, nose and mouth. He is backed with some Mustard Seed-Distres Inked paper to give the impression of a candle inside. I stamped him a gent's hat (which I fussy cut) and that's the end of this project. WHEW!
For all this work, I am going to enter it into two challenges:
SanDee & amelie's Steampunk Challenge: Tic-Tac-Toe October
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Say It with Stamps
Okay -- too tired to proof-read this right now. Sorry for the typos and incoherent ramblings! Hope to see you all in Tim's CC102 class tomorrow!!
Time to get the workspace cleaned up just in time for more fun!! -- Mary Elizabeth